Saturday, January 11, 2014

que horror!

Just finished this! Academy Models 1/144 scaled Panavia Tornado "MiG Eater"

[BUFFER FOR IMPENDING BITCHFIT/WRITE-UP]


I am so glad to be done with this thing.  This is probably the first time I've felt so let down with a kit for various reasons, aside from the flaws inherent in the kit itself, Bad molding, fit and alignment problems, and slight lack of accuracy, it also suffers from my own ineptness which led to mistakes being committed while building this kit. 50% of it was me, then the rest was the kit.

THIS BUILD MADE ME FEEL HORRIBLE.


but that's okay, I learned a lot, and definitely stuff that I can apply to my future builds.


BUT DESPITE THAT THIS ENTIRE EXPERIENCE WAS HORRIBLE. 

I had to buy another one to replace the wrecked weak-as-shit decals that got torn by masking tape.

CHRIST. AUGH.

[/bitching]

Okay, I'm fine now.

In truth this kit can be amazing with a bit of work, but that amount of work requires you to be a bit more patient and if possible way more experienced. As it stands, the one I made I guess can be a passable kit but knowing what I know about it, and comparing it to the Dragon 1/144 model of the same jet, it irks me how far the gap is between them. But I consider that something to be thankful for-- I have a lot more jets to go through and hone myself with before going back and building the second Academy Panavia Tornado I bought myself.

In the end, I can definitely say this kit lived up to its name, it was a disaster waiting to happen, but totally a disaster that can be averted with proper prep and research.


To make myself feel better I think I'll attempt a kit that has more recent tooling. That F-16 Fighting Falcon Block 30 and the Dassault Rafale M suddenly look very, very enticing.

No comments: