Sunday, February 2, 2014

hack and slash



Okay, one of the essential parts to pay attention to when working on something like the metal slug gashapon set is the figures. You can paint up the vehicles all nice and all but the figures also need that sort of attention.

That being said, it's pretty hard to paint them up right when they're one solid piece of PVC (or rather several parts firmly held together by glue).

If I wanted to paint the figures entirely, meaning ALL the little crevices and gaps, I can't accomplish that by just painting them as-is, or rather you can but it'll be way to difficult and nerve-wracking for your hands.

What could you do?





well, you cut the figure up, for starters.


Sectioning off parts of the figure makes it easier to paint. in this case I've separated the figure into pieces that would allow me to get color on those hard to reach places. And to make sure they go back together in one piece, I've added mounting pins and holes to the parts, kind of how one would do it on a resin kit.

I accomplished this using 2mm and 1mm plastic beams as the pins, the 2mm ones to join the head to the body and the body to the waist, and 1mm to join the arms to the body.


What's good about this method is that aside from making painting the figure completely a breeze, it also allows you to do some slight positioning of parts, because the pegs effectively act as articulation points. I'm very partial right now to gluing the arms in place while leaving the waist and neck pins un-glued to allow a bit of movement to those areas. Of course what's important about this aspect is to choose only parts that would normally not break the sculpt even when repositioned. In this case what can work is just the waist and neck.

I'm glad this worked for Eri, and I think I'll do the same to Fio before I prep them both for painting (oh joy!)

No comments: